Empress Bean (Phaseolus vulgaris ‘Empress’): Our very best snap bean for fresh eating, freezing, or processing, the Empress bean offers incredible flavor. The vigorous plants produce heavy yields of large, straight, green, 5-6” stringless pods. Plant in succession for fresh beans throughout the season. Introduced by Gurney’s in 1979 as Experimental Bean 121 and later renamed Empress. Bush habit, snap, 55 days. ±1,500 seeds/lb.
Learn to Grow Empress Bean
Instructions – Sow seeds outdoors after the danger of frost has passed and soil and air temperatures have warmed. Harvest frequently for increased yields.
- Fast Growing: Empress beans are a fast-maturing variety, typically ready for harvest in about 50-60 days.
- High Yield: These plants are known for their high yield.
- Disease Resistance: They are known for their resistance to common bean diseases.
- Bush Variety: As a bush variety, these beans don’t require trellising and take up less space in the garden.
- Adaptable: These beans can grow well in various climatic conditions.
- Rich in Protein: Empress beans provide a good amount of plant-based protein, an essential nutrient for growth and repair in the body.
- High in Fiber: They are a good source of dietary fiber, promoting healthy digestion.
- Rich in Iron: These beans are a good source of iron, an essential nutrient for blood health.
- Good for Bone Health: They contain a good amount of calcium and magnesium which promote bone health.
- High in Vitamins: They are high in several vitamins, including B vitamins, supporting a range of bodily functions.